I'm on the map. With paint!

Friday, February 12, 2010

Finally Underway!

After several months of planning, preliminary visits, a perilous caravan with my mom from Chicago to Virginia and finally, a blizzard-beating sequence of flights, trains and taxis, I have arrived in De Nederland!

To give this statement and blog context: I am an American expat that came upon the unique opportunity to retain legal residence in the Netherlands. My also expat girlfriend works for a US company with a base of operations in the Dutch city of 's-Hertogenbosch, or just Den Bosch. They allow her residence, she sponsors me and...Voila! I get to stay too!

My goal in this space is simply to comment on everything that I have the chance to see, do, eat, drink, hear, read and experience while living on this side of the pond. This will not be any kind of objective study of the exotic; I won't point a finger and say, "Oh! Look how different it is here!" Rather, I just want to tell an annotated story of our little adventure.

If you find yourself reading and have a question or comment I would absolutely appreciate hearing from you.

6 comments:

  1. First to comment, faaaaantastic. Or should I say, te gek! Also, pannenkoeken met spek zijn echt lekker. And finally, prettig weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the same to you, Laura! Joe, thanks for being the first follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited to read about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading, Johnny Cyclone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We saw the Netherlands athletes in the parade of nations, and didn't see you there. We are most confused.

    ReplyDelete