I'm on the map. With paint!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The fox trying to match the mouse's fleetness

I read tonight that Robin Pecknold is 11 months younger than I am. Man. Sometimes, I wonder if I shouldn't have just studied and gone to swim practice less in high school, and learned to play guitar and form a folk rock band instead.
Additional discovery of the night: the Grolsch 'Herfstbok' (autumn bock beer) is pretty much just as sweet and syrupy as last year. Still not a big fan. There's a bock beer festival going on in Amsterdam this weekend and I'm contemplating attending. So far, the best bock (not too dissimilar from a porter or stout, though a little lighter/sweeter) I've had in this little country is from semi-micro-brewer Hertog Jan.

It was sad to look at my last post prior to this one and read my optimism over a 2-0 Wildcat football team. Sad because that was the last time they've won this season, meaning they're sitting at a rather uncomfortable 2-5, losing to Army, Illinois, Michigan, Iowa and Penn State, in that order and in increasing strength of pain. This weekend they face a not entirely unthreatening 1-7 Indiana Hoosier team in Bloomington. (Their homecoming, I believe - people just love scheduling NU for their homecoming. Go figure.) Still, it's probably one of our last best chances of winning a game yet this season. A win will actually still enable the 'Cats to go forward and 'win out' to become bowl-eligible. With just 6 wins, it's not likely they'd be selected to go to a bowl, but, you know, it's nice to be available to be asked.

Monday night after work I was lucky enough to go to a concert by Throwing Muses at the Paradiso in Amsterdam. If you're not familiar, imagine Stevie Nicks fronting Nirvana. It was a little like that: short, sweet, angsty, angry, trancey, grunge-rock songs with very little speaking in between from lead guitarist/singer Kristen Hersh. She had these empty, yet intense, dark eyes floating in her cobra-esque constantly swinging head - you couldn't help but be drawn into her affected music-making.

No comments:

Post a Comment